Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Postcard from Sardinia

Luke McKenzie regularly drops us a line updating us on his latest travels... Hawaii, Brazil... and now Italy. Tough life huh?

Hey guys,

I am happy to report I won the South Sardinia Olympic distance triathlon in Villasimius, Italy over the weekend. After a successful week long training camp with 15 Italian age group athletes in what can only be described as "paradise," we finished with one of the mostly spectacular but challenging Olympic distance races I have entered. In it's first edition, the South Sardinia triathlon attracted 150 athletes mostly from Sardinia and the Italian mainland. I led the race from the gun, exiting the water with over one minute lead and continued to pull away on the bike to go onto the run 8 minutes ahead of the next competitor. Only two weeks after Ironman Brazil and with one easy week of training in Sardinia I was glad to afford the luxury of cruising the run to take in the scenery and cheer for all my new Italian friends.

I really enjoyed the race not because I won but it was very exciting to watch all the athletes who had been part of our camp crossing the line with huge smiles on their faces. They were a really great bunch of people and their enthusiasm and vest for life is contagious! Plans are already well underway to return to Sardinia in 2011 to once again host the June training camp and compete in the South Sardinia triathlon.

Ciao!

Luke


No comments: